Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday Update

Just grabbing a few minutes as tomorrow I'll be busy, also Friday and Saturday, so it will be Sunday (or even Monday the next time I blog - unless of course I managed to get things done in rapid time).

It's amazing how much I'm able to do at the moment, think this is because life has become 'interesting' again, and it's a real pleasure to be able to cook for others.
Yesterday went to collect all the necessary alcohol to add to desserts (BFG has kirsch, Tiramisu has Limoncello, Sicilian Cassata has Cointreau...!!!), and found I had none of each.  Was able to find a recipe to make my own Limoncello using Vodka, sugar and lemons.  It worked well.  Needs keeping for a month before using, but as luck has it suddenly noticed some small jars (that once held  Colman's mustard) in which I had poured the last ml of the above missing liqueurs, so I have enough without having to buy any more, the home-made Limoncello is a bonus!

Need to make more sugar syrup tomorrow.  This I make by measuring (let's say) half a pint of caster sugar, putting it into a pan with the same measurement of water, then heat gently, swirling the pan from time to time (DO NOT STIR), until dissolved, then bring to the boil and boil for 3 - 4 minutes until syrupy.  Leave to cool then bottle in sterilised jars.  It keeps for ages in the larder.  A little will be mixed with the kirsch, and some also went into the Limoncello.

This morning baked a square chocolate cake for the BFG.  Didn't want it to rise too much, so baked it at 160C, then after 30 mins turned it down 20deg for a further 15 minutes.  It stayed flat, and tomorrow I will slice it in half horizontally so on Friday the halves can be drizzled with kirsch syrup before being sandwiched together with whipped cream and a can of cherry pie filling.  The top will also have cream, more cherries (the frozen ones thawed) and a scattering of grated chocolate.

Depending upon numbers (not yet known) I MAY fill a (bought) sponge base with custard/cream, top this with assorted berries (a row of strawberries, then a 'blue fruit' (cherries, or blueberries or blackberries) and alternate with rasperries and redcurrants.  Glaze top with QuickJel.  This will be made up on the day.  It really does look quite special and a good way to use up oddments of some soft fruits that are in the freezer, the QuickJel holds their shape and prevents them going soggy.

What an amazing lot of veggies you were able to buy for a relatively small amount of money jane. Carrots freeze very well when blanched and I used to cut them in various shapes, thin circles, batons, or cut diagonally - any shape you like.   Onions too freeze well when peeled and chopped.  If planning to eat them within a month they don't need blanching.

Jane also sent a comment, but I've made a note about making Limoncello under her name in my notebook and as I've already mentioned it above, no need to repeat it.

It's been another lovely day again today, but still cold outdoors despite the sun.  Heard on the news that there was an excellent display of Northern Lights last night, seen as far down the UK as the south coast with a special mention of Cumbria.  Hope that Cheesepare was able to see it.

That's it for today, I'll be back again as soon as I have the time.  Hope you get a chance to see the eclipse - me, I'll be too busy cooking!!!.  But like a lot of eclipses and at least one 'lights' once seen, I can say 'been there, done that'.  Don't need to see it again.   TTFN.