Sunday, October 19, 2014

Worth Being Ill For....

Just been catching up with Gill's news (regular Sunday phone call), she was on holiday last week, so didn't know about my spell in hospital.
As sitting at my desk (land line phone by my side) thought I'd take the opportunity to write my blog before I settle down to do the rest of what's needed to be done today, and then put my feet up.

Am still improving, albeit slowly.  Seeing the doc tomorrow so should then know how much I can do and can't do. 

Another huge thank you for the lovely comments sent in.  A welcome to Joitsie (and a few others who have sent in their first comments recently).

Your mention of hospital food (esp soup) Jane, has prompted me to write down the menus for the couple of days I was in hospital.  Just in case anyone is interested.  Myself feel we were given a good choice.
Menu lists were left at the side of each bed the evening before, and we would then tick the boxes to show what we had chosen.  We could also choose small, medium, or large portions.  Naturally I chose large, but am not sure if that was what was given to me, they didn't seem THAT large.

Saturday lunch (for week 1) we had Roast Parsnip and Rosemary Soup - a James Martin recipe. This followed by a choice of three main courses:  Lamb and Potato Pie (also J'M's recipe), Vegetable Lasagne, or Cottage Cheese and Pineapple Salad. (I chose the cottage cheese/salad).
To these we could add 'extras': 'potatoes of the day', and/or 'vegetables of the day'.
We could choose one dessert from the three listed: Jam Sponge and Custard, Rice Pudding, and Fruit of the Day (I chose the Jam Sponge).

The lady in the next bed to me had chosen the Lamb and Potato Pie, and it looked and smelled gorgeous and I wished I'd had that instead of the salad.  Maybe next time?

Saturday supper was: Lentil Broth, followed by either a cheese and tomato sandwich on wholemeal bread, or chicken mayonnaise sandwich on white bread, or Tuna Salad with a bread roll and butter (this being my choice).  Not sure why, but the bread is never buttered or 'marged', it is just plain bread with the chosen filling.  Ok if the filling consists of something with mayo, but very dry if just cold meat.  They give us little pots of butter/marg AND jam/marmalade to spread on our breakfast toast, so if I have to stay in hospital again think I'll take my own 'extras' to top up the meals.
Also chose the 'extras on the Saturday menu - these being Mini cheese crackers.
Dessert was Victoria Sponge (J.M's recipe and my choice) or fruit of the day.

The Sunday Menu was:
Pea and Ham Soup (J.M's recipe and it was lovely), and either Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding (also J.M recipe) or Vegetarian Sausages in Gravy and Yorkshire Pudding (my choice).
Extras were: vegetables of the day (my choice), creamed potatoes, roast potatoes (my choice), gravy.

Desserts was either Fruit Crumble and Custard (my choice) or fruit of the day.

As I went home before the Sunday supper was served, have now forgotten what I ordered.  Think it was much the same as the Saturday, just different choice of flavours.

Margie's mention of her mum being in hospital for five days (after having a baby) reminded me of when I had our first two.  Mine were born so easily (approx. 2 hours from start to finish), but in those days they kept us in bed for up to 2 weeks.  Nowadays it is 'get up and go' as soon as possible after the baby is born. 
With our fourth (last) baby (who started at 5.00am and born 20 minutes later), I was up later that day making bacon sarnies for B's supper.  Obviously I was one of the lucky ones.

Now then, I had a BRILLIANT idea yesterday (at least I thought so).  Regular readers may remember that some time ago I said I was working on starting another web-site, this to be just for recipes plus hints and tips.  It's ready to go (almost) but as my camera didn't work, couldn't then take photos of the dishes I'd cooked and wanted to put onto the site. 
Steve bought me a new camera, but due to recent health issues have not yet begun working on the website and still have to find out how to use the camera to its full potential (it doesn't come with instructions other than those on a disc that have to be read via the comp). 

How about the new site being OUR site.  Yours and mine.  What I would like to happen is readers choose one (and more) recipes that have been either published on this blog, or in the various cookery books that I've written.  Find the ones that they like and can recommend, then make, photo, and put on the new website.  Also altering the dish if they feel it can be improved (or made even cheaper).
That way we get a good idea of what the dishes do look like -- and a picture paints a thousand words, hopefully tempting others to make the same.  And if they don't like it when made, tell us why.

But it doesn't have to be just MY recipes, why not include your own?  If you like the idea I will get on to Steve (who is setting up the site for me) and he will then tell us how to forward the photos/recipes to him. 

Scrolling back through Archives to view the thousands of recipes already on this site. I know there are hundreds worth making, but never easy to find, and if these are made and put onto this new site,  it'll be a bit like a cookbook written by all of us.  Everything together to find at the press of a button.    

Please let me know what you think of this idea. TTFN